Sunday, December 5, 2010

Converting Wordpress Blog to Blogger / Blogspot

Today I am trying to consolidate my Java blog posts and separate some of my posts on Python, and also other stuffs here. All were previously in my Wordpress blog sites.
When I search in Google, there is a hope in wordpress2blogger tool. It is a hosted tool at Google App Engine. Google App Engine put the limitation of the upload to 1Mb, so you can only upload blog less than 1Mb in size. Of course we can work around the limitation by importing the blog bit by bit.
For my case, I divided into 4 chunks.

This is how I did it:

1. Login to your Wordpress account, and navigate to the Dashboard for the blog that you want to transfer to Blogger/Blogspot. I was using Wordpress 3.0 which had slightly different configuration and menu from the one described on the appengine hosted tool.
2. Click on Tools (left accordion menu section) > Export (link)
3. Download the Wordpress XML file.
4. Upload to the wordpress2blogger.appspot.com website, click [Convert] (button).
5. You will automatically download from the site, a new format that is importable by blogger. The file normally will be named blogger-export.xml
6. Open your Blogger account, create a blog if you haven't got one, or you can import to your existing blog. Go to this link: Dashboard > Settings (tab) > Basic (tab) > Import blog (link). Choose the file.

That's it! Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment