Thursday, September 18, 2008

Failed to install varnish in Ubuntu

Today I tried to install SCons on my VirtualBox Ubuntu. It gave an error because my previous installation of varnish on this Ubuntu failed, so every time I invoke the apt-get install, it will try to install the varnish again and repeat the same failure. The failure is revolved around the inavailability to the crti.o library.
It seems that I'm not alone. Somebody else had failed installing varnish on Ubuntu and had the same problem.


I found out that the cause of the problem is the lacking of libc6-dev in my Ubuntu installation.

The fix to this problem turned out to be just installing the Ubuntu package libc6-dev.

The varnish installation needs the SHMEM library related to the existence of the crti.o object file in the C library (seems that it is a kernel specific library).

$ sudo apt-get install libc6-dev

or

$ sudo aptitude install libc6-dev

The package manager will choose the most suitable c library for your Ubuntu kernel.

Voila, it works!

When the failed pending varnish installation has been cleared, the uninstall feature (apt-get remove varnish) back into action again! I could install/reinstall varnish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment