Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Upgrading to VirtualBox 2.0.2

I'm using VirtualBox for personal usage under PUEL license. There is another version, Open Source Edition (OSE) which you may use for it is free of charge under GNU GPL 2.

With VirtualBox I can do some experiments and even try other enviroments without having to reboot my box. 

I keep these 2 installation on my VirtualBox: 



  • OpenSolaris 11

  • Ubuntu



A newer version of VirtualBox has been launched, it is recommended to upgrade to this latest version 2.0.2. Download the version that match your platform here.


I'm upgrading my box to 2.0.2 from previous 1.6.2 version.

This is the screen capture of a VirtualBox:



After upgrading, I try to run the OpenSolaris, it boots correctly:
Seems that there is a minor glitch here, an warning  message appeared:

WARNING: cpu0: failed to update microcode code from version 0x0 to 0x2

The microcode of the CPU emulated between 1.6.2 and 2.0.2 might be a bit different and OpenSolaris detected it.

Anyway, the OpenSolaris does not seem to have problem running on the new version.


My Ubuntu installation also ran well on the new installation:


WARNING:

Please take note that the saved state of previous version might not work in the newer version. Make sure to shutdown your guest operating system on the old installation before upgrading.


No comments:

Post a Comment